SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Seahawks / Bears Trade

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Seahawks / Bears Trade

Post by Bishbosh1985 on Thu May 03, 2012 6:30 pm

The Hawks trade FS Earl Thomas 4.3 mill (Hawks cap pen 2.6 mill) OVR 87

for

Bears ROLB Lance Briggs 2014 7.3 mill 2015 10.1 mill (Bears cap pen 3.4 mill) OVR 91
Bishbosh1985
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Seahawks / Bears Trade

Post by GCurrie36 on Thu May 03, 2012 6:36 pm

I'm happy with the trade and I don't have a problem with cap penalty.
GCurrie36
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brza37 on Thu May 03, 2012 9:52 pm

I approve. The Seahawks' surplus at S makes the age difference acceptable.

View user profile http://sml-europe.forumocean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LTown27ers on Fri May 04, 2012 6:32 am

I approve too.
LTown27ers
All-Madden
All-Madden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jensua on Fri May 04, 2012 9:36 am

really? am I missing something?
The bears get a top tier fs in his prime with a reasonable contract and the seahawks get a an ageing veteran past his prime close to retirement and with a huge contract.

I think this trade is pretty lopside towards the bears. Throw in a 1st rounder and we have something (that is how lopsided i think this traded is (I might overexaggerate a bit with the 1st rounder...).

Brza, the hawks should have no problems fielding other trades with his safeties...
jensua
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brza37 on Fri May 04, 2012 10:44 am

@jensua wrote:really? am I missing something?
The bears get a top tier fs in his prime with a reasonable contract and the seahawks get a an ageing veteran past his prime close to retirement and with a huge contract.

I think this trade is pretty lopside towards the bears. Throw in a 1st rounder and we have something (that is how lopsided i think this traded is (I might overexaggerate a bit with the 1st rounder...).

Brza, the hawks should have no problems fielding other trades with his safeties...

Yeah, I guess you're right jensua. I've just become a bit lax on the trades as the seasons have gone on. I'm also factoring in that we may only have 2 more full seasons so Briggs' 91 shouldn't drop substantially and Thomas' 87 will only progress one more time. Adding another player or draft pick is still probably right but I don't think a 1st rounder is necessary. I think a 3rd would suffice.

In real life this trade would never happen but like I said I think the life of this franchise also needs to be considered in trades now that Madden 13 is only a few months from release.

Back to top Go down

Post by jensua on Fri May 04, 2012 11:43 am

brza, well personally i do not believe that the longevity of the league should factor in.
I know this trade would never happen irl but still i think we should make sure that the trade is as "fair" as possible eventhough they are not sim.

in todays nfl brigss would only fetch a low level draft pick 5th rounder. I am thinking in the line of brandon lloyds to the rams last year...
look at what your eagles for a "shutdown" corner...
jensua
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishbosh1985 on Fri May 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Gents, looks like the proposed trade has touched a nerve or 2! Below i have defined what i believe the definition of our trade committee to be, and i ask the committee guys to either agree or disagree - and if disagree, state why.

1) To determine the fairness between the trade players involved, based on OVR rating and potential. Salary and age are factors the trading owners must make their OWN choice about.
2) To consider the salaries ONLY if the trade is a 'cap room' trade.

There, simple!
I make this point because things like team needs, player evaluation, available cap room, personal favourite players etc are all subjective and pertain only to the owner. Therefore, the committee can only determine fairness on players OVR score (i.e. how they perform) and the potential (i.e. how they will advance over future seasons).

The trade committee is there to ensure no-one gets stiffed on a deal - but should not get involved in owners choices outside of OVR rating and potential as they are the facts. we are on dodgy ground if we involve our own subjective thoughts on owners player decisions!

Please, your thoughts Brza, LT and Jensua?

Bishbosh1985
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brza37 on Fri May 04, 2012 4:56 pm

I think age does play a factor in the value of a player. Thats why we also look at potential and not just OVR. That being said, age is more of a factor early on in a franchise than it is at this stage.

Personal favorites or player evaluation shouldn't be a part of the equation but I don't think that is the case here anyway.

Jensua comparing what the Eagles got for Asante to this situation isn't really valid. Asante's value was so awful because
1) the experiment of 3 talented CBs but nobody with the skillset to play nickel didn't work and everyone knew one player had to go
2) All the interested teams wanted to restructure Asante's deal but he refused to do that for any team he didn't want to go to
3) The Eagles just wanted him out of the lockerroom because he not only freestyled way to often last year, ignored assignments and made others look bad because of it but he was also a bad influence on the young guys

Back to top Go down

Post by jensua on Fri May 04, 2012 5:03 pm

haha bish no nerve touching here.

I am just commenting on whether i thought the trade was fair or not from my perspective. I have not seen any "job description" for the trade committee.
I guees we would have to agree on the parameters of the committee...

but if the parameters you have set forth bish are the ones we go by then I guess the trade is ok.

that said I still believe it is a lopsided trade :-)
jensua
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishbosh1985 on Fri May 04, 2012 5:04 pm

ok then - Brza and Jensua, decision time?

Are we saying yay or nay?

Hall of Fame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jensua on Fri May 04, 2012 5:05 pm

haha brza I guess you just schooled me with your inside scoop on the eagles lockerroom.
My example was just to show that ageing vets with large contracts go for late round picks
jensua
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jensua on Fri May 04, 2012 5:19 pm

after consulting the chat.

I can agree to the trade but I stand by my arguments.

I propse that we for madden 13 define the rule and rules for the committee
jensua
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brza37 on Fri May 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Sorry for breaking out the Eagles insider info on you jensua. I'm just still pissed that we only got a measley 7th rounder for him. Despite all his faults the dude can still play but he really beat the system to land with a team he wanted and screw the Eagles in the process.

Anyway, I understand what you're saying though. IRL Briggs probably wouldn't get more than a mid-round pick. But irl he may have 1-2 years left and isn't a top 10 LB anymore while Thomas is an upcoming star who will probably play at least 10 more years. In Madden though Briggs is a top 10 OVR LB and he won't decline that fast. Thomas likely also only has one more chance to progress. So they are Briggs 91 and Thomas 87 right now and the ratings will be at the worst Briggs 87 to Thomas 91 next season.

Thats why I think we just have to stick to the OVRs here and consider that the franchise only has 2 more years left. From that perpective I think its a fair trade so I approve.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top