Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:48 pm by zill_kills

June 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Tie-breaker

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tie-breaker

Post by Notorious_MH on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:05 pm

With the season coming to a close I have just been looking at the NFC standings and noticed there is a 4 way battle for the 2 wildcard places. I was wondering if anybody knew if in the event of a tie, which stat is used as the tie-breaker? I think in the real world it's the division record but I could be wrong. Does anyone know?
Notorious_MH
All-Madden
All-Madden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tie-breaker

Post by Dazinkster on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Just tried looking them up...if the Bears/Eagles/Lions/Panthers are tied at 11-5 then it gets real complex!

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

See!!!
Dazinkster
Veteran
Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazinkster on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Right, as I was bored I decided to hypothetically work out the WC spots if the 4-way tie scenario comes to fruition.

Bears/Lions/Eagles/Panthers

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
--------This means Bears are eliminated due to H-2-H record with Lions

Lions/Eagles/Panthers

2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
-------N/A as all 3 teams have played each other

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference
-------This eliminates the Lions as they would have the worst conference record of the 3 remaining teams

So the Eagles and Panthers would make the playoffs
Dazinkster
Veteran
Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LTown27ers on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:19 pm

@Dazinkster wrote:Right, as I was bored I decided to hypothetically work out the WC spots if the 4-way tie scenario comes to fruition.

Bears/Lions/Eagles/Panthers

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
--------This means Bears are eliminated due to H-2-H record with Lions

Lions/Eagles/Panthers

2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
-------N/A as all 3 teams have played each other

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference
-------This eliminates the Lions as they would have the worst conference record of the 3 remaining teams

So the Eagles and Panthers would make the playoffs

I think Madden doesn't have this tie-breakers, Madden makes ist After alphabetical Order of the Team namens
LTown27ers
All-Madden
All-Madden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Notorious_MH on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Wow thanks for the research Daz, good stuff. But if Madden really uses alphabetical order to tie-break then that's pretty ridiculous. I was going to say I would want to switch to the Bengals so i had a better chance to make the playoffs but the Bears would still beat me! That's a real smart move Bish, choosing the 1st team alphabetically. Now your secrets out you can stop pretending to be a Bears fan Wink
Notorious_MH
All-Madden
All-Madden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LTown27ers on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:24 pm

@Notorious_MH wrote:Wow thanks for the research Daz, good stuff. But if Madden really uses alphabetical order to tie-break then that's pretty ridiculous. I was going to say I would want to switch to the Bengals so i had a better chance to make the playoffs but the Bears would still beat me! That's a real smart move Bish, choosing the 1st team alphabetically. Now your secrets out you can stop pretending to be a Bears fan Wink

thats not why he picked the bears because he cant read, he only licked the bear in th epicture
LTown27ers
All-Madden
All-Madden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazinkster on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:42 pm

Wow, that's lame if that is indeed the case.

No probs with the research, I'm a bit of a geek at heart so enjoy these kind of logic/maths problems. It's also why I enjoy the X's and O's side of football.
Dazinkster
Veteran
Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishbosh1985 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Gentlemen, i am afraid the rumours are true .............. i do lick the bear picture!

Also, i think the alpha thing comes into play after the head to head tie-break.

Hall of Fame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brza37 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Tiebreaker was alphabetic in Madden 10 online but I'm pretty sure they changed it for 12. I don't think its as complicated as the real NFL but its somewhat logical. I'm pretty sure we had ties before and it didnt go alphabetically.

View user profile http://sml-europe.forumocean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishbosh1985 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:09 pm

I know for a fact that the tie-breaks can get a little weird as i experienced in another league. I was ranked 5 and after winning the WC game i was the lowest seeded team which should have meant i played the No1 ranked team next but i didn't.

All i can deduce from that was the 1 and 2 seed cannot play each other so the 1 seed played the 'alphabetical first' of seeds 3 and 5 - which in this case was the Bears ( i was the Cardinals in that league). Strange that the alpha thing applies to the team name rather than the city!

Hall of Fame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top