Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:28 am by Xipie

March 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Running up the Score, Stat Padding, Sportsmanship and Audibles

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Running up the Score, Stat Padding, Sportsmanship and Audibles

Post by brza37 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:52 pm

This past week I have had a few complaints about the same issues and they need to be brought up and addressed.

Running up the Score and Stat Padding:
There were several instances the past couple weeks in game where teams did not kill the clock when the score and rules dictated otherwise. This type of behavior cannot be tolerated simply because owners will get angry and quit. We do not want anyone quitting over something trivial like that. If the game is decided, kneel the ball. Don't try to get extra stats because it is pointless and kills the sim style that is the main reason most owners joined this league for. It can also result in injury to a key player or more importantly someone leaving the league.

I know records and the history of the league are important to a lot of guys and I know that being the league leader and also All-Pro team is what a lot of owners are shooting for as well. But this is not a random ranked game type of league. This is a place to get away from that type of stuff. If there are two minutes left in the game and you have the ball and the lead and your opponent doesn't have any TO's or just 1 kneel it and kill the clock. Just do the math to see. It is usually simple. If they have all 3 TO's or 2 that is a different story. But owners are throwing TD passes with 30 seconds left and the other team has no TO's. If you win the game by more than 14 points you should most likely have a few -1 yard runs from your QB which shows that you did in fact kneel down at the end of the game.

I repeat THESE RULES ARE ALSO FOR GAMES AGAINST THE CPU!! Running the score up and stat padding against the cpu because "hey the computer doesn't have feelings" is wrong because it kills the statistical realism that most people enjoy in an online franchise. It is also unfair that a team who plays more games against the CPU than others has more chances to pad his stats and win all the season awards.

In addition, some teams have different styles of play. Some love to blitz, some sit back in zone most of the day. Some air it out. Some run it down your throat. Thats fine as long as you have enough variation in the play calls and keep the run/pass, blitz/zone ratios in a relatively good ratio, never more than 70/30. However, if what you are doing is working so well that you are out to a huge lead then please step off the gas and change your tactics in the 4th quarter so that you don't run up the score on your opponent. For example, in the NFL teams that like to blitz will generally back off the blitzing in the 4th quarter if they are already up by 21 points. Other teams that like to air it out will usually try to run the ball a bit more in the 4th or sub in their backup QB (except the Pats but Bill Belichick is definitely no model for good sportsmanship). If AP and Run DMC already have 200 yards and are up by a ton in the 4th generally you'll see their backups come in and get a couple carries.

If you think someone is running up the score send them a PM in game to give them a chance to react accordingly. If it persists then send me a PM here with the details etc.

So everyone has been warned. Running up the score and padding stats is not tolerated. In the future owners will be temporarily booted for this.

Also, the opposite of this is running the clock in the 3rd quarter of a close game. Madden games are generally short as is so please don't use the tactic of running the play clock all the way down every play in the 3rd quarter of a close game. That can be equally frustrating for your opponent and is equally unrealistic.

Sportsmanship:

Also, I don't mind a bit of banter back and forth. I also think its ok if you've both been doing a bit of trash talking in good fun on the chatbox before the game to do a bit of highstepping or an endzone leap when you score a breakaway TD in game. But use good judgement. If its your first game against a new guy and you're highstepping when you've never wrote or talked to him before in your life that bit of showboating could be taken the wrong way and cause your opponent to leave the league with the wrong impression of SML.

Audibles:
I'd also like to remind everyone that we also have rules against excessive audibling or hot routing. You all read the rules and accepted them before you joined the league. So please abide by them.
Audibling or Hot routing every play or every pass play is against the rules. Audibling and not allowing your opponent at least 3 seconds to adjust is also against the rules.
And its not in the rules but if you're fake audibling to try and throw off your opponent then you're probably going a bit too far with the audibles.

Hopefully everyone can live with that. If you have a problem with anything I posted let me know.

View user profile http://sml-europe.forumocean.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Running up the Score, Stat Padding, Sportsmanship and Audibles

Post by jensua on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:24 pm

nice post brza,

I have a question regarding audibles.
for example if I choose a run play (inside frun from the I) and my opponent shows a blitz and lines his guys up close to the line of scrimmage. I would perhaps audible into a qucik pass play(normally slants) and then i might audible my te and rb to block. So that is 3 audibles on one play. Is that againts the rules? I would say it is pretty sim as the qb makes adjustment based on what the d gives him and the play called originally.

From what I understand as obsessive audibles is audibling to different sets and changing back and forth in order to get a matchup that is in your favour.

I mean is it ok to audible into the plays that madden gives you from the list? quick pass, deep pass, run, pa (am i forgetting some)? I tend to do that if the d that is shown is not in my favour based on the play i selected?
jensua
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brza37 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:46 pm

@jensua wrote:nice post brza,

I have a question regarding audibles.
for example if I choose a run play (inside frun from the I) and my opponent shows a blitz and lines his guys up close to the line of scrimmage. I would perhaps audible into a qucik pass play(normally slants) and then i might audible my te and rb to block. So that is 3 audibles on one play. Is that againts the rules? I would say it is pretty sim as the qb makes adjustment based on what the d gives him and the play called originally.

No, its ok to do that. A lot of the quick audibles need to be adjusted especially if you're audibling because your opponent seems to be blitzing. Its only a problem if you are audibling the majority of the game and each audible also requires multiple hot routes.

@jensua wrote:
From what I understand as obsessive audibles is audibling to different sets and changing back and forth in order to get a matchup that is in your favour.
Yes, thats right. Its also excessive if you are constantly calling multiple hot routes nearly every play. It is ok to do multiple hot routes occassionaly though.

@jensua wrote:
I mean is it ok to audible into the plays that madden gives you from the list? quick pass, deep pass, run, pa (am i forgetting some)? I tend to do that if the d that is shown is not in my favour based on the play i selected?
Yes thats fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishbosh1985 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Just to add to Brza's instructions above, the stat padding issue may seem harmless to some players as its versus the CPU (stat padding versus humans is just damn wrong and will likely get you a warning) but one of the main reasons its against the rules is the effect it has on players progressions / regressions come the end of the season.

In other words, if you play a lot of games v the CPU you can run up silly stats for specific players by running the same play over and over again which will contribute to increasing your players, and therefore teams, OVR rating at season end.

As we have new owners join our league the cpu games will diminish and hopefully before long we'll have a full league and stat padding will be a thing of the past.

I'm just glad collecting tight ends isn't against the rules lol

Hall of Fame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brza37 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:16 am

I would like to remind everyone that running up the score against human opponents or the CPU is not allowed and will no longer be tolerated. Sportsmanship is one of the first rules in the rule book. As said before this applies to games against the CPU too.

There is no reason that anyone should score a TD with just seconds left when the game is already decided. Just take a knee and run out the clock.

This is the final warning. To clarify the rule, from now on anyone who scores a TD in the final 1:30 of any game when already leading by 14 or more will automatically be suspended for their next game. If there is only 1:30 left in the game it means you can run out the clock even if they have 2 TOs. So there's absolutely no reason to keep putting points on the board. If you have a breakaway just run out of bounds.

If I receive complaints of running up the score against humans or if something seems suspect in the stats of games against CPU that could be regarded as running up the score then I may also suspend you.

The reasons are clearly stated above in the original post and also in the rules.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishbosh1985 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:40 am

its all about RESPECT guys - not just each other but the COMMISH too!!!!!!!!!!!

The man puts in a load of time and effort so WE can enjoy SML.

Hall of Fame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by martinomln on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:42 pm

if i made an interception or forced fumble can i return in the endzone?
martinomln
Rookie
Rookie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishbosh1985 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:55 pm

There cant be any exceptions Martino - as Brza said if its in the last 1:30 you just run out of bounds if you get a turnover and the game is already won.

The only instance i can think of where it may be acceptable is if you get a 1 yard fumble or interception return and you cant actually stop the players momentum in time.

Brza?

Hall of Fame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LTown27ers on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:29 pm

I think the rules are like they are... We cant say "What if here and What if there"

If the Return TD is not neccesary dont make it... ( more than 14 points and under 2min)

I think u cant give more respect to your oppenent when you run this out of bounds and knee down after it.

A win is a win without that TD
LTown27ers
All-Madden
All-Madden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brza37 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:25 am

Since, we have some new users and some older ones seem to forget at the start of a new season I would like to remind everyone that this is a SIM league. That means teams should play realistic football and that stats are taken seriously so stat padding and running up the score against human opponents as well as the CPU is unacceptable.

Also, use your whole playbook. Teams should not be running the same play 5+ times a game. Flipping the formation strength does not qualify as a different play.

And finally, dropping back 10 yards from the center, dropping back in shotgun or sprinting out right after the snap is not allowed. It makes it impossible to sack the quarterback and gives an unfair advantage that normally wouldn't happen in real football. It also results in the defense giving up on rushing the passer and monotone playcalling leading to boring games for both teams.

Please make sure you read this entire thread again and understand it before your next game.

Back to top Go down

Post by brza37 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:22 pm

Another new season and another new reminder about running up the score and stat padding. Since, we have quite a few new members, I would like to remind everyone that this is a SIM league. That means teams should play realistic football and that stats are taken seriously so stat padding and running up the score against human opponents as well as the CPU is unacceptable.

I have been against a hard victory margin cap in the past because situations are difficult to predict and oftentimes after jumping out to an early lead the CPU just gets worse with the dynamic cold streaks. But in order to make things as clear as possible we are going to start enforcing a 35 point victory margin cap. If you beat your opponent by more than 35 the first time will be a warning and the second time will be a one game suspension. The reason this is so important is because the wider the win margin, the more often top players will max out XP gains against cpu and players who are not so good can only progress their players at a 'normal' rate. In other words - the top guys' players get even better and the average guys players drop further behind. We want a competitive league and not one where the gap between the top players and the rest grows uncontrollably due to the XP gained in blowouts.

Also, use your whole playbook. You can use any playbook in the game but teams should not be running the same play 5+ times a game. Flipping the formation strength does not qualify as a different play.

I hope that clears things up and everyone can play by those rules. Also based on the rushing averages after 5 weeks it seems rushing is a bit overpowered so I'll be adjusting those sliders before we advance further.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishbosh1985 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:17 pm

XP is one of EA's little annoyances that is a good idea but doesn't work very well. This is a good addition to the rules, no excuses for guys to stat pad, as that is basically what has been happening on some occasions.

If anyone is unsure about 'sim' play, just PM Brza for the lowdown - theres a few new guys in the league this season - it's better to ask rather than do something that could p**s off your opponent and/or land you with a ban. Its good that some have already done this.

Good sportsmanship is a HUGE part of any online community. We all play to win, sure, but the fact of the matter is if games are not played in the spirit required, there really is no point in playing at all. If 'win at all costs' outweighs the community enjoyment then play offline fran instead.

Fortunately, we have a good core of owners here (some still to return but they will) and the new owners seem to have settled in well. There is always a few wrinkles with guys finding their feet so it's also important that the experienced guys accept this too. By the time another month or so goes by everyone will be up to speed.
Bishbosh1985
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top