Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:20 am by Blitzburgh4891

February 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Reminder about the Rules

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reminder about the Rules

Post by brza37 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Two things have been brought to my attention recently that contradict the sim standard of play that we should have in this league. 

First, pooch punting has never been allowed in this league except for a situation inside the 50 where it would happen in real life. This rule will also be modified because apparently there is a known glitch that causes the camera to stop tracking the ball usually resulting in muffed punts, turnovers and at the least long punts with no chance for a return. This is not the way punting works in real life and is an obvious glitch. The rule is changed to reflect this glitch:

League Rules wrote:S4) Pooch Punts: Pooch punting, or intentionally punting the ball short, is only allowed in situations inside the 50 where you angle the kick towards the sidelines because a full powered punt would likely be a touchback. However lowering the trajectory of your punt is NOT allowed under any circumstance. Lowering the arrow before a punt causes a glitch in Madden where the camera does not track the ball making it impossible for your opponent to field the punt.

Second, unfortunately this seems to be an issue towards the beginning of each new Madden game and its something that I'm really getting tired of mentioning. Vary your Playcalling!
Each playbook has over 200 plays. Each game of 8 minute quarters only has about 40-60 plays on offense and defense. There is absolutely no reason why anybody should be using the same play more than 3 times in a game. I know everyone has their go-to, bread and butter plays that they like to run in certain situations. But there is a very fine line between calling a play that will work and being so repetitive in your playcalling that your opponent knows whats coming but due to Madden's limitations can't stop it. That is very frustrating for anyone involved and generally the reason why people look for sim leagues and not just random online games. Even if you can stop the play it is equally frusutrating playing an hour long and constantly seeing the same 5 plays from the same formations.
Madden has a great playcalling feature this year called Concepts which helps combat this. If you find yourself calling the same plays because you know they work and others you've tried don't then try out the Concepts. If you are succesful with the Power run, for example, then you can try another Power run from different formations. That way you are at least giving your opponent different looks. This goes for Offense as well as Defense. Constantly, calling the same Defense and making the same adjustments is also prohibited. With the exception that Defense Playbooks are a bit more basic so its ok to run the same plays a bit more often. Again here is the rule from the rulebook to refresh your memories:

League Rules wrote:G7. Mixing up the Playcalling: Varying your playcalling on both offense and defense is a requirement of sim play. On offense, be sure to show your opponent different formations and different plays out of each.
It is understandable (and acceptable) for a team that is down by a lot to become one dimensional, needing to throw the ball. By the same token, a team that is up by a lot is permitted to become one dimensional running the ball to keep the clock running. As long as the game is close, we expect all box scores to reflect a concerted effort at reasonable play calling. This means that no game should end with a run/pass ratio of 75/25 or vice versa.

On defense, be sure to mix up coverages, blitzes, and the like. Showing blitz should be used sparingly, but can be an option to mix it up. Sitting in Cover 3 or DE Contain all game, for example, is prohibited. In addition to making games more sim, mixing up your playcalling makes you a more lethal weapon as a coach. The more versatile you are on either side of the ball, the more you will be able to play mind games and set up plays against your opponent. The only exception to this goes along with offenses becoming one dimensional. If your opponent is forced to become one dimensional due to the score, you will be permitted to do so on defense.

When making adjustments on the field pre-snap, be sure that you are not making the exact same adjustments on every play. Constant press coverage, constant line stunts, shifting the DL and linebackers in the same manner every play and the like falls under the category of not mixing up play calling, and is frowned upon. In addition, moving anyone other than the player you will control is prohibited.

Any further reports of these tactics being used will result in suspensions. If you are not familiar with the rules, make sure to read them.

brza37
Admin

View user profile http://sml-europe.forumocean.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Reminder about the Rules

Post by Bishbosh1985 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:53 pm

Once again, same old troubles. I honestly thought M15 could get away from this as your opponent gets to see your previous playcall - and therefore no argument about running the same stuff too much as it is clear.

Personally Brza, i think a hard and fast rule could be applied here.  There's no excuse repeating plays.
Break it and get a ban.

Bishbosh1985
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TDavey88 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:28 pm

Do the people who are breaking the rules aware? Ie have you have privately messaged them? A reminder of the rules is all well and good but there might be some people who think this isn't about them and continue to play they have been. The rules are very clear I just know if it were me this applied to then id want to know.

TDavey88
Rookie
Rookie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brza37 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:05 am

@TDavey88 wrote:Do the people who are breaking the rules aware? Ie have you have privately messaged them? A reminder of the rules is all well and good but there might be some people who think this isn't about them and continue to play they have been. The rules are very clear I just know if it were me this applied to then id want to know.
Yes, I warned a couple people before I posted the message.
I posted it to warn everyone though because a lot of things go unreported especially when people win despite their opponent not playing within the rules or if its early in the season. From my experience these things get magnified when the playoffs roll around and some people have been playing the same way all season but never heard anything about their gameplay being problematic.

Although complaints about sim play/rule violations is my least favorite part of an online league if people don't let me know whats going on then it ties my hands to a certain extent about enforcing suspensions because it boils down to a guy with a clean track records word against anothers. If I hear something beforehand or have video evidence then its a lot easier for me to take action.

brza37
Admin

View user profile http://sml-europe.forumocean.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top